TL;DR – She has earned more than US$60 million in royalties from the song.
With Sony releasing a remastered version of Wham’s Last Christmas music video, in full 4K glory, there’s yet another premiering of a festive music video. This time, it’s Mariah Carey’s holiday hit, “All I Want For Christmas Is You”!
Although it was released 25 years ago, it only reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the first time this year. To celebrate this joyous event, yeps, there’s a brand new music video.
Just out, today.
Here are some interesting tidbits about “All I Want For Christmas Is You”.
- It’s Spotify’s most-streamed Christmas song of all time, with more than 602 million plays.
- It has already earned over $2 million in royalties since the song was first added to Spotify, according to a study by Broadband Deals.
- We can expect more streaming of the song over this two-month festive period and it’s estimated to bring in about $600,000, according to Broadband Deals.
- According to a 2016 estimate by The Economist, Mariah Carey has earned more than US$60 million in royalties from the song. No wonder she could (allegedly) drop US$100,000 per month on exotic flowers alone *blinks*
- Its first official music video has chalked up more than 610 million views on YouTube since it was uploaded to the platform in 2009.
Yeps, this version.
And now, who else loves The Late Late Show with James Corden?
Mariah Carey also made an appearance on the show this week and performed the song live for the show’s audience! I’ll leave the performance video here to help kickstart your Christmas weekend!
(Featured image via)