TL;DR – Cure for all stomachaches, they say.
Growing up, having diarrhoea or indigestion often saw us being given Po Chai pills by our parents (or grandparents). These pills are often found in the medical cabinets of most households and are touted to be the wonder solution for abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, indigestion and even cold symptoms.
The South China Morning Post recently did a feature on these ubiquitous pills and went behind the scenes to the factory where they are made.
If you’re too lazy to watch the video, here are some interesting takeaways you might want to know:
1) The Po Chai brand has actually been around for 120 years.
2) 10 million boxes are Po Chai pills are produced a year.
3) There are 14 herbs (presumably Chinese) used to make these pills.
4) The herbs are first blended into powder then made into pills.
5) The brand is now trying to target younger consumers as well.