TL;DR – Cause baby, you’re a firework.
As you would already know, this year’s National Day Parade or NDP will be held at the National Stadium instead of the floating platform at Marina Bay like previous years’.[media-credit name=”straitstimes.com” link=”http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/national-stadium-to-stage-its-largest-indoor-fireworks-display-for-this-years-ndp” align=”aligncenter” width=”780″][/media-credit]
For those who are not able to get the coveted tickets to the Aug 9 show (and the first-time-in-history indoor fireworks display), here are some of the best spots to catch the best views of this year’s fireworks.[media-credit name=”ndp.org.sg” link=”https://www.ndp.org.sg/july-23-best-places-to-snap-ndp-fireworks/” align=”aligncenter” width=”900″][/media-credit]
1) Along Kallang River[media-credit name=”Source” link=”https://touristinmyownland.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/img_3617.jpg” align=”aligncenter” width=”900″][/media-credit]
Bring out the picnic basket and sit yourself on the grass of the Kallang Riverside Park and enjoy a strawberry or two under the blanket of fireworks. We suggest you arrive earlier in the afternoon to chope a good spot.
2) Tanjong Rhu Promenade
Starting at Tanjong Rhu Bridge along Sungei Geylang, the Tanjong Rhu Promenade runs along the water’s edge of Marina Reservoir before ending at Gardens by the Bay where there are several spots along this park connector where you can enjoy the fireworks display.
3) Nicoll Highway Park
This will offer you a unparalleled view of Singapore’s famed city skyline.
4) The Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore[media-credit name=”Source” link=”https://ashutterbugslife.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/fireworks-fiesta-at-ritz-carlton-singapore-2709.jpg” align=”aligncenter” width=”540″][/media-credit]
Imagine this view right from YOUR bathroom window? It doesn’t get more luxurious than this… though at an equally luxurious price tag of $742 ++ a night.
5) Parkroyal at Beach Road[media-credit name=”Source” link=”http://theshutterwhale.com/blog/2014/6/22/hotel-review-parkroyal-on-beach-road” align=”aligncenter” width=”600″][/media-credit]
For a more affordable staycation, the pool at Parkroyal at Beach Road offers a good view of the fireworks, with room rates starting at only $190 a night on Agoda.com.
6) Along Republic Avenue
You should be able to catch the fireworks happening overhead from the walkways along Republic Avenue (nearest MRT station: Nicoll Highway MRT (CC5)). I suggest you head down a little earlier to the nearby Golden Mile Food Centre to pick up some yummy noms before enjoying the display.
7) Conrad Centennial Singapore
The hotel has a National Day Special Package where you can indulge in a snack platter for two and a bottle of Prosecco while enjoying the fireworks in the comfort of your room. Room rates start at $425 ++ per night.
8) Marina Barrage
The views here might be partially obscured BUT this also will mean that you’ll have fewer people to jostle with!
9) Marina Bay Sands[media-credit name=”Source” link=”http://sg.asia-city.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/item_image/clv_fireworks.jpg” align=”aligncenter” width=”599″][/media-credit]
The options are plenty here – you can get a room, enjoy a drink at CÉ LA VI or simply head up to the SkyPark Observation Deck though I highly anticipate this place to be packed with both locals and tourists.
10) Stadium Waterfront[media-credit name=”Source” link=”http://sg.asia-city.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/item_image/brewerkz-indoor-stadium-alfresco.jpg” align=”aligncenter” width=”501″][/media-credit]
There are a couple of restaurants such as Brewerkz and Mushroom Pot located along the river for you to choose from.
11) The good ol’ housing estates
Yup, it’s time you start going through your phone book to find out which friends live in the HDB blocks along Beach Road, Pine Close, Mountbatten where you can crash at to catch the parade live on TV and then the fireworks after.
Best with wine and cheese, or ice cream and chocolates if you prefer.
(Cover image via)