TL;DR – Everything you need to know, summarised for you daily at 5pm.
1. Stay vigilant, people!
Yes, in case you’re living under the rock this week, there’s been an ISIS-linked grenade attack in Malaysia, a suicide bomb in Indonesia, and a car bomb in Thailand. There were ISIS videos that declared war on Malaysia and Indonesia before the Puchong incident.
Too close for comfort, we think. So stay vigilant, people! And oh, MFA is also reminding Singaporeans to register with consulates and be vigilant when overseas, so do it!
2. Why do HDB and URA need to increase carpark charges?
While carpark charges have not changed since 2002, inflation as well as costs of operating public car parks have increased significantly. Since 2002, core-inflation has risen by about 30%. Total costs of operating public carparks have increased even more over the same period, by a total of about 40%.
For HDB carparks, which account for 90% of carparks in Singapore, costs have increased due to several factors:
– Rising overheads in the construction industry;
– Improvements to new and existing HDB carparks, such as installing multi-storey carparks with lifts, and providing link bridges to connect carparks to surrounding flats; and
– Additional repair works required to maintain an increasing number of ageing carparks.
Without the fee revision, HDB projects that it will face an average deficit of more than $100m annually in the coming years.
For URA’s many carparks in the city centre, parking charges are set higher than HDB carparks in order to appropriately manage parking demand. Despite this, without the fee revision, URA expects to incur a deficit in its carpark activity.
Source: HDB & URA
3. The legendary ‘Big Head Prawns’?[media-credit name=”Lianhe Wanbao” align=”aligncenter” width=”780″][/media-credit]
The AVA is investigating a complaint about whether the heads of prawns bought from a Sengkang wet market last week were injected with gelatin. More here.
4. How much should you be paid?[media-credit name=”Kellyservices.com.sg” link=”http://www.kellyservices.com.sg/uploadedFiles/Singapore_-_Kelly_Services/New_Smart_Content/Business_Resource_Center/Workforce_Trends/2016%20Kelly%20Singapore%20Salary%20Guide.pdf” align=”aligncenter” width=”839″][/media-credit]
Check out the latest salary guide here.
5. Who doesn’t love Ellen?
(Featured image via 9now.zendesk.com)